Terms and Conditions for Training Courses
This document outlines the Terms and Conditions under which Pillings Motorcycle Training offers its services in the delivery of motorcycle training courses. All our courses are covered by these Terms and Conditions and you will be asked when booking a course if you have read and accept these terms.
Acceptance of an offer of a place on a training course is signified by the payment of a booking fee, either in full or as a deposit. The payment of the booking fee signifies your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Your Responsibilities – What to Bring / What to Wear
- Payment and Refunds
- Cancellation or Postponement of Courses
- General Conditions
Your Responsibilities (What to Bring, What to Wear)
For all training courses, you must bring the following:
- Your Driving Licence
The Photocard must be valid (they expire after 10 years!) We must also have been able to carry out a DVLA licence check which will show your Entitlement for the category of motorcycle you are able to ride and any motoring convictions
If you have the old paper-only style driving licence, then please bring photo proof of ID, such as a passport – we need to verify you are who you claim to be!
- Your Glasses if you need them to see distance
We must perform a basic eyesight test to check you can read a normal number plate (i.e. one of the form XXNN XXX) from 20 metres.
- A packed lunch or money to buy lunch
Skipping lunch or failing to drink enough during the day can increase fatigue and cause a loss of concentration – not good when you’re trying to learn something new!
For all training courses you must wear:
- An approved motorcycle helmet
Unless you are a member of the Sikh religion and wear a turban. If you do not have your own helmet, we can supply one for you to use.
- A motorcycle jacket (preferably with CE approved armour)
If you do not have your own jacket, we can supply one for you to use.
- Motorcycle gloves
For hygiene reasons we usually do not lend gloves to trainees. You must provide your own motorcycling gloves. Please contact us for information as to the best local stockists. Ski gloves, woolen gloves and leather fashion gloves are all unsuitable as they will not offer you sufficient protection
- Sturdy over-the ankle boots (preferably motorcycle boots)
Training shoes, sandals, canvas shoes, etc. are all unsuitable for riding motorcycles or scooters
- Motorcycle trousers or Jeans / thick trousers
Jogging bottoms, leggings, tracksuit bottoms, etc. are all unsuitable for riding motorcycles or scooters
- Warm clothing, especially in winter
Riding a motorcycle or scooter exposes you to a wind-speed of 30mph and above. It can get cold, even on a nice day!
You must have your own gear and the following to use during your course:
- An approved motorcycle helmet
- A motorcycle jacket incorporating CE-approved body armour
- Waterproof over-trousers
- A high-visibility vest to wear during all practical training sessions
In using your own motorcycle or scooter for training, you must also bring:
- Your motorcycle insurance and MOT (if applicable) documents
We need to check that your motorcycle is in road-worthy condition prior to the start of any training. If there are any defects that render your motorcycle / scooter unsuitable for training we will be forced to cancel your training with no refund. If you are in doubt, please bring your motorcycle / scooter to us for inspection at least 48 hours prior to your course (so you have time to rectify any faults or hire a bike from us)
- Your motorcycle must also be taxed
- Your motorcycle must display a valid rear number plate (note that cutting the plate renders it invalid – they must be at least 178mm square)
If you fail to bring the above, or turn up wearing inappropriate clothing, you will be excluded from your course and lose your course fees.
Sorry, but if you don’t take your responsibilities seriously, then we won’t train you as we don’t want to be responsible for you getting hurt!
When attending prior to Training, you must also bring:
- Your Driving Licence (see notes above)
When attending for your Enhanced Rider Practical Test, you must comply with the DVSA rules on what to wear, see https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/what-happens-during-the-motorcycle-practical-test. This is the type of equipment you should wear.
Payment and Refunds
- Full payment for all training courses must be made 5 working days prior to the commencement date of the course. Where booking is made within 7 days prior to the commencement date, payment must be made in full at time of booking.
- A deposit of £150 is payable at time of booking for Courses if booking is more than 7 days prior to commencement of the course.
- Refunds will only be granted should 10 working days’ notice be given and confirmed in writing (e.g. by email).
- Motorcycle training courses cannot be safely conducted in the event of adverse weather conditions, such as ice, snow, dense fog, flooding or severe winds. Under these conditions we will notify you as soon as possible and reschedule your training as soon as mutually convenient.
- Should you be unable to take a test that you have already paid for and that we have allocated on your behalf, we will not be able to refund your test fees. We will always try and ensure that your tests can be moved to another date if you are unable to take them, but this will not always be possible.
- Where a test is cancelled due to bad weather, you will be offered a new test date by the relevant authority.
- In the event that our instructor is unable to conduct your training course and no replacement instructor is available, we notify you as soon as possible and will reschedule your training as soon as mutually convenient.
- No refunds will be given for training courses cancelled if an alternate date is offered within one month of the postponed course date. If we are unable to offer an alternative date within one month, we will refund your course fees in full.
- No refund will be made for expenses incurred by trainees attending courses that are cancelled or postponed.
Cancellation or Postponement of Courses
- No refund will be given for training courses or tests cancelled by the trainee unless the notice stated above is received. Exceptions to this condition are at the discretion of the Owners of Pillings Motorcycle Training.
- The motorcycle that you use for your training must be insured for you to use. It is your responsibility to make sure that you are insured correctly.
- You will be expected to be familiar with the contents of the current version of the Highway Code.
- All training courses start promptly at the published start time. You must arrive 5-10 minutes before this start time. If you turn up late, you may not be allowed to join the course and will forfeit your course fees. If you are running late, please call the office as soon as possible, in case we are able to delay the course start time (this will be at our discretion and will depend on the impact on other trainees).
- You must inform us at time of booking of any medical condition, and/or drug or medication you are taking (by prescription or otherwise), that could impair your riding ability. Any changes to medical conditions or drugs/medication that might impair your riding should be brought to the attention of your instructor prior to commencement of any training.
- We reserve the right to cancel, amend or reschedule training courses as necessary, according to the conditions outlined above.
- We reserve the right to determine appropriate riding standards as criteria for submitting trainees for testing. Such criteria will be in accordance with regulations and guidance as issued by the DVSA and other relevant training bodies. We will not submit trainees for testing where they clearly do not meet the criteria required to succeed.
- We reserve the right to terminate training and exclude trainees from further training without refund in the event of them riding or behaving in a dangerous, negligent or disruptive manner, or failing to act upon their Instructor’s guidance. In this instance all fees paid will be forfeited.
- We reserve the right to vary these terms and conditions without prior notice. Any changes to the terms and conditions will be notified to any trainee currently booked on a training course, and revised terms and conditions provided to any new trainees booking a course.
- We operate a ZERO tolerance to verbal and physical abuse towards any member of staff or other individual using or providing our services. If such problems occur then you will forfeit any course fees and further training.